Monday, November 9, 2009

Ode to Jim Henson and his Street ...

Tomorrow is the 40 year anniversary of "Sesame Street".
My love and devotion for the Street runs deep.
And so in honor of this glorious occasion I would like to share a few of my favorites.

#1.
I LOVED this one!
I wanted cool hair decorations like they had.
I remember my friend, Gina, and I singing this on the playground while shaking our hips.
It must have worked,
because that afternoon Jesse invited me to sit on the bean bag with him during reading time.
Thank you Oinker Sisters!



#2.
This one still gets sung at my house on a regular basis.
I remember wanting to be one of those back up dancers when I was little,
especially the one who moves her feet really fast!
And, can we talk for a moment about Pattis' hair?
WHO LIED?!!
Gotta love the 80's!
But seriously,
this teaches a very important message.
You CANNOT cross the street unless you are holding the hand of someone you love,
not just like, but love.
Sometimes you have to wait on the curb for a really long time ...



#3.
I always identified with Bert in this next ditty.
I shared a room with my sis Natalie for a little while,
and if I wouldn't wake up when she wanted or jump on the bed instead
of staring at my poster of Michael J. Fox,
she would sit on my head and bounce up and down.
Oh, the tenderness of sibling love!
And I will NEVER tire of tap dancing sheep.



#4.
This is probably my ALL time fav Sesame Street moment.
I love James Taylor!
And I LOVED singing this song when I was little.
(And it is still one of the most played songs on my ipod!)
I remember practicing in the mirror,
because I just knew I could be WAY better then the girls sitting next to James.
I'm pretty sure the girl in the stripes grew up to be Natalie on "The Facts of Life".
And I totally had a crush on the kid in the corduroy overalls.




So tomorrow, in remembrance,
I will
sing all of these songs,
ponder the ladybugs at the ladybug picnic,
and continue to covet Snuffulupagus' eyelashes
in honor of a great piece of my childhood.



4 comments:

melimba said...

ok, i support you and all your crazy memories and stories (only b/c i was laughing so hard)...
but, I will not SECOND you on the whole notion of coveting Snuffulupagus' eyelashes---gag!

Ever since I was little, I've always told my mom that they need to trim his eyelashes, just like my mom could trim my bangs. !!! Still irks me to this day!

Other than that, good times with Sesame Street. Thanks for the tribute. :)

Mrs.C said...

10 years? Don't you mean 40 years?
Why don't you have David skating through the park?

Angela said...

Ha! I loved this! The Bert and Ernie video is my favorite! How do you get You Tube onto your blog? I need to figure that out...cause this made me laugh so hard! Happy Birthday, Sesame Street! Nothing like taking a walk down memory lane! :)

Brooke said...

We have a Sesame Street video with the James Taylor clip on it. I am trying to understand what the song, "Jellyman Kelly" means. Any ideas?