Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Loving Tribute In Memory Of An Old Friend ...

Yesterday as I got ready to get down to some serious Saturday chores,
I realized that my ipod was in my car.
Music is a must when it comes to Saturday chores.
Since I didn't want to subject the neighborhood
to having to watch me run across the street to my car
in my mismatched worn out pajamas,
with no bra and a side pony tail,
I busted out my old friend ...

the CD/tape player.

As I lovingly cleaned all the dust off my old friend,
I pressed play to see what hidden treasure lurked inside.
It was a MIX TAPE!!!
One my mom had made me years ago when I went off to college.
I laughed and reminisced while I folded laundry and
listened to old Sesame Street songs
and the "Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego?" theme song.
(Don't worry I still know every word.)

And I realized.
I REALLY miss the mix tape.
Yes, CD's are SO much better,
and I wouldn't trade my ipod for the world.
I love carrying my entire library of 6,035 songs in my pocket.
But there is something about a mix tape that those things cannot replace.

It can't replace the gritty sound quality from holding up the recorder to
the television to catch a commercial you loved.
It can't replace my 14 year old voice hissing at my little brother
to "BE QUIET STUPID!" while I was trying to tape
the theme song from the Joey Lawrence show.
It can't replace the recording of my now 17 year old sister at 4 years old
imitating me singing and playing the piano.

Remember the days of sitting by the radio waiting for that one song
to come on, so you could press record and add it to your tape?



It was so easy.
You didn't need fancy equipment.
You just needed patience and a record button.

I spent most of the afternoon going through my
stash of tapes.
I found many mix tapes that people had made for me over the years.
It was fun to hear old songs, and hear their voices.

And so,
although I am grateful for technology
and for the advancements that have come in my lifetime,
I do have to say ...

Dear Mix Tape,

In the words of Sinead O'Connor,
nothing compares to you.

Signed,
Missing You


P.S.

And let's be honest ...

John Cusack just wouldn't have looked as cool
holding up an iHome.

P.S.S.

To My Brother David,

Sorry for calling you stupid back when I was 14.
I just REALLY needed to get the Joey Lawrence theme song.
Please forgive me.

5 comments:

Cansirboi said...

i will never forgive you

melimba said...

hA!!!!
i was already laughing when I clicked to comment... but now I'm totally busting up reading David's comment!!! hAAAA!!
stinks for you. hA!!

i LOVED everything about this post. I totally remember just sitting by my radio, sure that my favorite song would come on... b/c I had my tape all queued up. The best is when you hear it the song you love in a room and then FLY to your radio and get the last 3/4 of the song. Most of my mix tapes only have "most" of the song.

Ahhhh... the good ol' days. Love this post. love it. Glad that you left your ipod in your car for this one. But, as Denise always warns--you better have it covered up under something, b/c a thief is BOUND to come up and break into your car. :) She's cautious like that. Where would we be without her wisdom?


...probably in a car with shattered windows and all our possessions gone.

xoxo
melis

emily snyder said...

ugh - i love that my sista wrote every word that i wanted to - and i haven't even read her comment yet. i just know she did!!!

so, DITTO! and let's be soo sooo honest . . . you complete me miss chalk, you complete me!

emily snyder said...

MELISSA SNYDER WOOD!!! did you realize who you were commenting to?? it was our own, MISS CHALK, who had ALL her possessions stolen from her car!! remember that awful awful night?? oh. i hate that memory!

Lyndee said...

Miss... I am seriously crying from laughing so hard.... so descriptive and so accurate... I loved the Joey Lawerence reference and Say anything picture... you seriously should be a TV writer or something you are HILARIOUS!!!