Sunday, March 1, 2009

I Could Have Sang As I Walked ...

This weekend I pinpointed why I wouldn't have been a good pioneer.
I could have churned butter.
I could have made my own clothes and washed them in the river.
I could have helped my husband work the farm.
I could have sang as I walked miles and miles on end.
I could have greased brown paper with pig fat to make "windows" for my one room cabin.
It may not have been easy, but I could have done it.

But I could not have handled the smells.
I could not have handled the endless aroma of pungent body odor,
from everyone working outside and only bathing once a week.
I couldn't have handle the constant smell of animals.
I could not have handled the horrible whiff of
halitosis and periodontal disease 
that would attack my nose every time someone talked to me.

And that is why I wasn't a pioneer.

7 comments:

Heather said...

i am totally with you on the smells!!! ugg. but i'm not so sure i could have put pig grease on the paper to make windows. but ya never know - i think we're capable of more than we think. but smells - yah!

(i'm not even capable of typing the word verification correctly - ha!)

Emily said...

AMEN sister. I use to hold my breath when I walked down the halls of my high school...especially if I saw someone that looked like they might have bad odor. Judging I know, but it was tight hallways, and I was tired of catching the "whiff" after they walked by:)

Unknown said...

I was thinking - no way, you'd get used to it, but then you mentioned the breath. Fast Sunday is hard enough.

The Road Less Traveled. said...

What on earth sparked this entry? I can just picture you sitting on your living room floor making your crafts when it hits you — pioneers and halitosis ... yeah ... not for me. Haha girl you crack me up.

Brooke said...

Brown paper bags and pig fat for windows? You know, you may have made a better pioneer than you think. If I recall correctly, we had a roommate who fit a few of those listed exclusions and you survived... (that wasn't very nice, but I couldn't help it).

Danna said...

I can always count on you for a good giggle Mel! :) You are so completly random! :) Love ya!

The Erickson Family said...

Smells are really bad with me, too. My husband can't stand them worse than me. When I was pregnant and throwing up he didn't even come close to me to console or comfort me. He hollered from the other room..."Hey are you ok?"

Cool that you know Angie. Tell her hi for me!

I love your blog! It makes me smile!