Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An Apple A Day ...

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE fruit ... but I hate apples. I don't enjoy them. I like byproducts like apple cider, apple pie, apple butter, apple crisp, green apple jolly ranchers. I just don't like apples themselves ... or so I thought. That all changed the day I bit into one of these ...



A Honey Crisp apple.

Friends ... these apples are divine! I crave them and they haunt my dreams! The problem is they are not easy to find. Apparently, they are a "designer" apple. (If the red delicious was a pair of Old Navy jeans, the Honey Crisp would be a pair of Citizens.) It is some weird cross breed that the University of Minnesota made up. I have to search high and low to find them, but I found them today! Apparently, the middle of October is the optimum harvest time for these crispy delights!

So, go out and find yourself one. You will not be sorry!

2 comments:

melimba said...

amen! just tried one last week! even though they are a little bit more expensive (almost a dollar more a pound here!)---well worth it! and they are BIGGER than the others too!

p.s.green apple jolly ranchers do not count as apple "by-products"

Carrie said...

They are the BEST apples. My mom told be about them when I lived in Florida and you could not get them there at all, no one even know what they were. But Idaho has them, thank goodness! :0)